St. Joseph Hospital

History

In 1948, the city of Jerusalem was divided due to political tensions. This separation prevented many Palestinians from reaching healthcare clinics and hospitals and thus, a new hospital was badly needed. St. Joseph hospital was founded in 1954 by the Sisters of Saint Joseph of the Apparition. Construction was completed in 1956 and since then, it has functioned as a non-profit general hospital in the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood of East Jerusalem.







Background
Health Programs
Progress Reports
   

 

Mission

Following Christ's example, the Sisters of St. Joseph and their hospital are committed to the destitute, the impoverished and the afflicted. The provide compassionate care to all, regardless of religion or race, sex or culture, lifestyle or economic status. The St. Joseph Sisters minister through healthcare and education not only in Jerusalem, but throughout the Holy Land in Ma'lia, Fassuta, Ibillin, Ramleh, Jaffa, Nazareth, Abu Gosh, Nablus, Ramallah and Bethlehem.

As the only Catholic Hospital in East Jerusalem, St. Joseph's holds a unique position, representing one of the smallest communities. Jerusalem's total population of two hundred thousand has a rather small Christian community that is sandwiched between the larger Muslim and Jewish populations. The St. Joseph Congregation believes it is important to maintain the Christian presence in the holy city by reaching out to the Christian minority and at the same time, serving as a bridge and dialogue facilitator between all the religious communities of Jerusalem.

Outreach

St. Joseph's is a seventy-three bed hospital. The staff cares for those afflicted with various medical conditions and individuals requiring surgical intervention. There are three fully equipped operating rooms, a radiology and ultrasound department, an intensive care unit, a pharmacy and a 24 hour laboratory. Also available in an out-patient department offering various services to the community. The chapel rests on the second floor where daily mass takes place to serve the spiritual needs of the staff and patients. The hospital treats medical and surgical patients in the various areas:

  • General Surgery
  • Neurosurgery
  • Urology
  • Othopaedics
  • Ear, Nose & Throat
  • Gynecology
  • Cardiovascular

Staff

St. Joseph's Hospital has many full-time employees. It is very important that these staff members re continually educated in order to ensure that quality care is delivered. In 1998, a continuing education department with a multi-purpose hall was developed to meet these educational needs. The administration and staff at St. Joseph Hospital includes:

  • Sisters of St. Joseph of the apparition
  • specialists
  • resident doctors
  • qualified nurses
  • par-medical staff
  • support staff
  • volunteers

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   

Departments

X-Ray

The x-ray department consists of the main stationary x-ray machine, ultrasound, CT scan and a portable x-ray machine for bedridden patients. It is essential to the hospital, not only for medical and surgical patients, but for the Outpatient clinics as well.

Operating Theatre

In the operating theatre, a wide range of surgical procedures are performed by specialists everyday. A team of ten employees ensures quality care for all surgical patients before, during and after surgery.

Intensive Care Unit

The ICU consists of three beds equipped with all the necessary monitoring equipment, which makes it perfectly suitable for the CCU patients as well. It is currently under renovation to secure the best possible care.

Outpatient Clinic

The outpatient clinic is run by a rotating staff of resident doctors and specialists supported by nursing staff. It provides excellent medical attention to any patients seeking advice or treatment and is open Monday through Saturday for the convenience of the patients.

Laboratory

The laboratory serves the purposes of both hematology and biochemistry twenty-four hours a day to meet the needs of inpatients and outpatients alike.

Patient Wards

St. Joseph's features a private ward with eleven beds where patients can enjoy the comfort of a newly refurnished single room, a private phone line, television, air-conditioning and extra space for visiting family members. The general ward consists of six rooms with two beds each and six rooms with three or more beds.

Administration

The main office is the first and last point of contact most patients have with the hospital as they are registered, admitted and discharged by the well-trained office staff.

Board of Directors and Board of Trustees

In 1998, a Board of Directors was established to ensure effective leadership in light of the complexity of St. Joseph's Hospital. As a result of this, a Board of Trustees was also founded to call upon competent and prominent persons from the Palestinian and international community of Jerusalem who are not directly affiliated with the hospital, but whose expertise is highly valued in leading St. Joseph's into the 21st century. Board meetings take place every few months and have proven to be very successful and productive for the future of the hospital.

Trustees

  • Chairperson: His Beatitude the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem, Michel Sabbah
  • French Counsul
  • Deputy Director of the Pontifical Mission
  • Director of the Solidarity Office
  • Mr. Faisal Husseini
  • Five representatives from the Congregation of St. Joseph:
    • Sr. Frida (Provincial)
    • Sr. Gilberte (Superior)
    • Sr. Anastase
    • Sr. Elizabeth
    • Sr. Pauline

Directors

  • Chairperson - Sr. Gilberte Saliba
  • Administrative Director - Mr. Jamil Koussa
  • Medical Doctor - Dr. A. Khoury
  • Assistant Medical Director - Dr. H. Nasser
  • Senior Consultant - Dr. M Aker
  • Director of Nursing - Mrs. Mary Manarious